When you mention the word intimacy, people automatically think physical but the definition of intimacy extends well beyond that. Dictionary.com has six different definitions associated with intimacy that say nothing about a physical relationship.
1. The state of being intimate.
2. A close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person or group.
3. A close association with or detailed knowledge or deep understanding of a place, subject, period of history, etc.
4. An act or expression serving as a token of familiarity, affection, or the like.
5. An amorously familiar act; liberty.
6. The quality of being comfortable, warm or familiar.
And if you click over to the definition of intimate as an adjective you'll find:
1. associated in close personal relations;
2. characterized by or involving warm friendship or personally close or familiar association or feeling;
3. very private, closely personal;
4. characterized by or suggesting an atmosphere conducive to privacy or intimacy, warmly cozy; 5. arising from close personal connection or familiar experience.
I think the synonyms for intimacy say a lot as well; closeness, familiarity, warmth and affection. The intimacy that you share with your spouse extends well beyond the physical, and if you think about it, without all of the other things those definitions mention, even the physical isn't really "intimate" by definition.
How do you increase the level of intimacy in your relationship? You have to get to know each other and you have to trust each other. The best way to do that is by spending quality time together! Date night, weekends away, a vacation, and even just time at the end of every day. I saw a formula last week that said talk+togetherness+time=intimacy and I really liked it.
No matter what you have going on in your life or how crazy your schedule might be, you NEED to make time to talk to your spouse a priority on a daily basis. Spending that time together will strengthen your relationship and increase the intimacy that you share, both physical and nonphysical. Having someone who knows you on such an intimate level is a blessing. You still won't know every single detail about each other, but you can be each other's greatest confidant and friend.
No matter where you are at in your relationship, set aside some time this weekend to talk and be together. Increase the intimacy in your marriage so that it fits all of the definitions above. You won't regret it!